If you are looking for a delicious huckleberry holiday treat, try Huckleberry Jammers.
If you read the story from Becky Sue on Baking the Goods, you’ll find that the poor gal nearly paid a small fortunate for the huckleberries to make these cookies! They call them ‘purple gold’ for a reason!! Especially this year, where there seems to be a big shortage (who wanted to dodge the fires trying to pick huckleberries?).
Instead, she bought a jar of huckleberry jam! NOTE: You can find all kinds of huckleberry jam on our Tastes of Idaho website!
So, she does not list a recipe on the site, but I image any thumbprint cookie recipe will do, so I have found one on the All Recipes website:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup any flavor fruit jam -- huckleberry preferred!
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Separate egg, reserving egg white. Cream butter or margarine, sugar, and egg yolk.
- Add vanilla, flour and salt, mixing well.
- Shape dough into balls. Roll in egg white, then walnuts. Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven. With thumb, dent each cookie. Put jelly or preserves in each thumbprint. Bake for another 8 minutes