Yummy recipe for Huckleberry scones from a fellow huckleberry lover in northern California!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour or spelt flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 8 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup huckleberries
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 7 to 8 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Rub the cubed butter into the flour mixture with your fingers and a fork until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Gently fold in the zest and huckleberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, the egg and 5 tablespoons of the cream.
- Add to the flour mixture and gently mix with your hands until the dough just comes together. (If the dough seems dry, add an extra tablespoon of cream.)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat the dough into a 6-inch round about 1-inch thick. Using a round cutter, cut dough into 12 rounds.
- Place rounds on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle the 2 tablespoons of remaining heavy cream over the tops.
- Bake until scones are golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Serve warm.