I found a wonderful recipe to make a very special huckleberry dessert for the holidays.
(NOTE: Huckleberry Chantilly Cake
Huckleberry Chantilly Cake for Christmas
Category ~Huckleberry Baked Desserts
- 2 cups fresh huckleberries
- 14.5 oz. (about 3 cups) cake flour (I use all purpose flour at 8500 ft.)
- 8.75 oz. (about 2 cups + 2 tbsps) confectioner’s sugar
- 0.5 oz. (1 tbsp) baking powder (omitted at 8500 ft.)
- 6.75 oz. whole milk
- 6 oz. canola oil
- 3.25 oz. (2 large) eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 13 oz. egg whites (about 13 egg whites)
- 9.5 oz. (1 cup + 3 tbsps) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsps huckleberry syrup
- 1 1/2 tsps lemon juice
- 4 oz. unsalted butter, softened
- 16 oz. mascarpone cheese, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup cream
- Bake the chiffon cake: Oven 375°F. Prep two 9×3-inch round pans by buttering bottom and sides. Place parchment in pan and butter the parchment. Sift flour, confectioner’s sugar, and (if using) baking powder together into a large bowl. Mix the milk, canola oil, eggs, and vanilla extract into the flour mixture until combined. Whip the egg whites and granulated sugar together to medium peaks. Gently fold the whipped whites into the batter in thirds and make sure the mixture is uniform or you may end up with separation during baking. Do not slam the cake pans on the counter to pop the air bubbles, you WANT the air bubbles in the batter. Bake until set, about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (took me 30 minutes). Remove from oven and remove from pan. Let cool on a cooling rack. Makes two 9×3- inch rounds.
Make the huckleberry syrup:
- Combine the water, sugar, and huckleberry syrup in a small pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool.
Make the frosting:
- Cream the butter, mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, and salt together in a bowl until fluffy (use paddle attachment on a stand mixer). Gradually beat in the confectioner’s sugar until combined. In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks (smooth, but not grainy). Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone frosting until incorporated. Use the frosting right away or refrigerate. If you chill the frosting, let it stand at room temperature for about 10 minutes before using.
Assemble the cake:
- Set the first cake layer down with the cut-side up. Brush a third of the syrup over the cake. Gently spread a layer of frosting over the cake (or you can pipe frosting onto the layer). Sprinkle a half cup or more of the huckleberries over the frosting. Set the second cake layer on top of the first. Repeat with syrup, frosting, and berries. If making a 3-layer bake, then top with a final cake layer. If making a 4-layer cake, repeat the cake, syrup, frosting, and berries a third time, then top with a final cake layer. Frost the entire cake with the remaining frosting. Serves 10-12.
And, of course, this recipe is from my favorite website: Use Real Butter. Check out the original recipe for more pictures and details.