Finding a new, different, or exciting recipe is always fun and welcome during the holiday season.
Following is a Huckleberry Turnover recipe from Just a Pinch Recipes
- 2 cups huckleberries, frozen, partially thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- sugar for sprinkling, regular or coarse
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place berries and 1/4 cup sugar into medium bowl, toss, set aside.
- Place cream cheese and sugar into mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Seperate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Set whites aside for now. Add the yolks into the cream cheese. Add vanilla and beat til mixed well. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Lay one sheet of puff pastry onto flat surface and cut into 9 squares.
- Spoon a tablespoon of cream cheese mixture down center of each square corner-to-corner. Lightly press berries into the cream cheese mixture. (1 1/2-2 Tbls.) Fold sides over into center overlapping points. Brush top of lower point with the saved egg white and press top point to seal.
- Make sure they are tightly rolled and points stick together so they don't unfold while baking. You can always use a toothpick if you don't mind the hole on top when the toothpick is removed.
- Place turnovers onto baking sheet. Repeat with second half. Brush all with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- If making ahead, you can cover these with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown.
Sounds like a great dessert or brunch treat.