Maybe you haven’t checked your calendar yet, but Valentine’s Day is just a couple of weeks away. If you are looking for a special huckleberry dessert recipe, I think you will love this Huckleberry Chocolate Moose (found on the Food Network website)!
Chocolate Moose for Valentines Day
Cuisine Huckleberry Desserts Category ~Huckleberry Sweets
- 1 1/2 pounds bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Huckleberry Syrup, recipe follows
- 4 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- Pinch salt
- Almond Cookie Cups, recipe follows
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 2 cups huckleberries
Almond Cookie Cups:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted almonds
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream. Whisk in huckleberry syrup in a slow drizzle. Let cool to room temperature. When chocolate sauce has reached room temperature, whip egg yolks into the sauce, 1 at a time.
- In a mixing bowl, whip egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form. In another mixing bowl, whip remaining 1 cup heavy cream until whipped cream is formed. Combine whipped heavy cream and egg white mixture. Fold the whipped cream mixture into the chocolate sauce, 1/3 at a time. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- To serve, whip mousse with a wire whisk to loosen. Transfer mousse to a pastry bag and pipe into Almond Cookie Cups. Serve immediately.
- Yield: About 2 cups
- In a saucepan, stir sugar and red wine vinegar together until mixed. Heat over medium-high heat until sugar has dissolved. Stir in cognac. Add huckleberries and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes. Strain and then cool to room temperature before using.
Almond Cookie Cups:
- Yield: 8 cookie cups
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a half-sheet pan with waxed paper and set aside. In a saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add flour and almonds. Stir thoroughly until combined.
- Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough on prepared pan; press dough out slightly to about 1/8-inch. For best results, bake only 2 cookies at a time as they do spread out. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for only 1 minute. With a spatula, remove cookies from sheet tray and immediately drape over a mold, such as a ramekin, a narrow glass. Let cool until set. Repeat with remaining batter.