Making Huckleberry Buckle for your next special meal will be a favorite for everyone. I bet that most most have not tried baking or eating buckle and with the huckleberries, it is sure to be a hit!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (plus extra to grease the pan)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups huckleberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw frozen berries)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease the bottom of a 9-inch square pan with melted butter.
- Cream 1/4 cup of butter and 1/2 cup of sugar together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar until just combined.
- Stir the milk and vanilla extract into the batter until just mixed – it will be thick and lumpy.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Mix the berries with 3/4 cup of sugar. Pour the boiling water over the berries and sugar, then fold until mixed. Pour the berries over the batter.
- Dot the top with the pieces of butter. Bake 45-50 minutes. Serve warm. Serves 6-8.