If you went picking already, and haven’t eaten all your huckleberries yet, let me share a recipe for Huckleberry Muffins!
If you have never had huckleberries, they are similar to blueberries in texture, but the taste is a bit different. Pop a handful of these little berries in your mouth and you are hit with a burst of tart flavor, followed by a sweetness unlike any other. Just a perfect combination for some yummy muffins.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 to ½ cups of huckleberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir with wooden spoon.
- Add wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Gently fold in huckleberries
- Pour batter into muffin pan, filling each section ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes
If you want to add a crumble top, mix together ⅓ cup of flour, ⅓ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup melted butter. Sprinkle on top of muffins before baking.