Found this wonderful huckleberry cobbler recipe in the Bastrop Daily Enterprise in Louisiana!
- 2-3 cups huckleberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ to 1 stick butter
- (Use your own pastry recipe or buy crust already prepared.)
- Roll pastry large enough to cover the bottom of a 9x13x3 inch baking dish. Put a solid piece of pastry over the bottom of the dish and bake at 375 degrees until slightly brown and dry.
- Roll out another 1/3 of the pastry and cut into strips and bake strips on a pastry sheet until brown and crisp. Roll out the last1/3 of pastry, cut into strips and set aside.
- Mix berries with 1 cup sugar, water and butter in saucepan and cook until tender.
- Mix flour and the remaining ½ cup sugar and add to fruit mixture. Stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Pour half of fruit mixture over the bottom crust. Layer the browned strips over the fruit. Pour the remaining half of the fruit over the strips and lattice the unbaked strips on top of the pie. Dot with additional butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees until brown and bubbly.
Add some ice cream on top and ….. yummmm!