Walnut Topped Huckleberry Crisp
I found this wonder recipe on The Earthly Delights blog!
What a wonderful dessert! I may just have to make this one myself!!
- Walnut topping:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped fresh walnuts
- 8 cups huckleberries, fresh or frozen (about 2½ pounds)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- For the topping:
- Put the 6 topping ingredients into a large bowl. Mix together using a whisk until moist lumps form. Set aside.
- For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the huckleberries in a bowl and add the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and cinnamon. Mix or toss gently but thoroughly to blend.
- Pour the berry mixture into an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish OR into individual serving-sized ramekins. Spread evenly and sprinkle with the topping mixture. Slip into the preheated oven and bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Wonderful warm or at room temperature!
Check out the information on huckleberry published along with this recipe: