With berries in season, I love making muffins as a breakfast alternative to cereal. I was fortunate enough to find some huckleberries in a local farmers’ …
Makes 12 muffins
3/4 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup huckleberries or blueberries or raspberries
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Mix in the egg, milk and vanilla until well blended.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the batter until just moistened.
- Toss huckleberries with remaining flour to coat, then fold them into the batter.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling at least 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
By Shawn Connally
Two of my favorite things to eat have nothing to do with how delicious they taste, and everything to do with the sappy sentiment attached to them.
(adapted from Muffins in New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant)
1.75 cups whole wheat pastry flour, unbleached white flour, or a mixture
2.5 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey or sugar
1 cup freshly picked huckleberries, rinsed off and drained
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Generously butter a 12-cup muffin tin. (I use canola spray.)
In a medium bowl thoroughly mx the dry ingredients.
In a smaller bowl lightly beat the egg with the milk, oil, and honey or sugar, then add this to the dry ingredients all at once.
Stir until the batter is just barely mixed.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Fold 1 cup drained blueberries (fresh, frozen, or canned) into the batter.
Add 3/4 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese and omit the honey or sugar.
Add a handful of chopped fresh herbs (chives, thyme, rosemary, oregano) and omit the honey or sugar.