Gluten Free Huckleberry Clafoutis
I was still picking huckleberries in October; December feels a little too early to enjoy them properly. February, a month of chicken soup and hearty stews … Clafoutis is a French dessert, a baked cross between custard and cake which is packed very densely with fruit.
1/2 cup almond meal
2 Tablespoons rice flour (optional)
2-3 Tablespoons honey (optional)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cream
3/4 cup milk
zest of one lemon (optional)
1 1/2 cups huckleberries or other small or chopped fruit (frozen or fresh)*
*NB: If using larger fruits like raspberries or even regular-sized blueberries, use closer to two cups of fruit. Huckleberries are small so a cup of berries means more fruit/less air than a cup of something larger.
1. In blender, mixer or bowl with hand-mixer, combine all ingredients EXCEPT huckleberries until small bubbles appear. (This is one of my favorite things about making clafoutis; how many other baked goods allow you to throw all the batter ingredients in the blender, and don’t need to be mixed delicately?!)
2. Butter a pie dish and place two thirds of your huckleberries (1 cup) into the dish.
3. Pour the batter over those huckleberries.
4. Sprinkle the rest of the berries (1/2 cup) on top
5. Bake at 375F for 45 min – 1 hour, until top is golden-brown and a knife comes out clean.
Serve warm if possible. Delicious plain, or with whipped cream or coffee or vanilla ice cream.